Re: Oracle light

From: Jim Smith <usenet01_at_ponder-stibbons.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 07:24:38 +0000

In message <1173328641.498662.245520_at_8g2000cwh.googlegroups.com>, Anoop <anoopkumarv_at_gmail.com> writes
>Probably a silly question - but I have this requirement to install an
>Oracle database server on my laptop which has about 512Mb of RAM and
>about 3gigs of free HD space left.
>
>I was planning to install Oracle XE 10g, but a friend of mine who has
>1Gig on his laptop says it drains his memory and makes the machine
>overall slower.
>
>What I want is to install an Oracle database server with minimal
>features (I just need it to play like create a db / tables / views
>etc) - not a lot of data, just to play around. I initially thought
>Oracle embedded is an option, but not sure what that is used for....
>So can someone please guide me as to which oracle installer I should
>use and how I can configure during installment or later such that it
>plays nice with my 512MB ram (I cannot increase the ram). I also run
>other stuff of this XP box - like mysql, java stuff etc (no MS
>Office). But I am willing to uninstall mysql if I can have oracle
>setup.

Oracle XE will run fine in 512MB, but it depends what else is going on. Oracle embedded/oracle lite etc are quite different and largely not compatible.

Depending on what you want it for, you could install Oracle 9i Release 2 which has fewer resource requirements. It is about to become end of life, but as a learning environment it will do. If you do a custom install, you can leave out some of the more memory intensive features (the embedded JVM for one).

--
Jim Smith
Ponder Stibbons Limited <http://oracleandting.blogspot.com/>