Oracle light

From: Anoop <anoopkumarv_at_gmail.com>
Date: 7 Mar 2007 20:37:21 -0800

Probably a silly question - but I have this requirement to install an Oracle database server on my laptop which has about 512Mb of RAM and about 3gigs of free HD space left.

I was planning to install Oracle XE 10g, but a friend of mine who has 1Gig on his laptop says it drains his memory and makes the machine overall slower.

What I want is to install an Oracle database server with minimal features (I just need it to play like create a db / tables / views etc) - not a lot of data, just to play around. I initially thought Oracle embedded is an option, but not sure what that is used for.... So can someone please guide me as to which oracle installer I should use and how I can configure during installment or later such that it plays nice with my 512MB ram (I cannot increase the ram). I also run other stuff of this XP box - like mysql, java stuff etc (no MS Office). But I am willing to uninstall mysql if I can have oracle setup.

Thanks,
Anoop Received on Wed Mar 07 2007 - 22:37:21 CST