Re: Default Query Result Ordering Details

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 3 Mar 2007 09:03:02 -0800

On Mar 2, 10:56 pm, "D. Robbins" <darylrobb..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you both for your replies. Yes, I am aware that for all intents
> and purposes, the query results for a query without an ORDER BY clause
> are returned in random order. I am just interested in understanding
> how things work under the hood a little better and figured this was a
> good foray into the world of Oracle internals. Are there any resources
> that might explain how the access plan and other factors contribute to
> the changing pseudo-random ordering of results? Thanks again.

I would suggest reading the Performance and Tuning Guide. However, you should read the complete Concepts and DBA Administration Guides or the Application Developers Guide - Fundamentas (as appropriate to your job function) first. There is no real value to reading advanced material until after covering the basics.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Sat Mar 03 2007 - 11:03:02 CST