Re: How to move objects from one datafile to another?

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 11:43:37 -0600

Eugene wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am running Oracle 8.1.6.3 on WinNT (I know...) and having I/O
> contention. I identified 2 datafiles that I'd like to split. I need to
> be able to move some tables out of one datafile into another
> tablespace on another drive.
> How do I do that?
>
> Thanks,
> Eugene

Create a new tablespace with the new datafile. Since this is 8i, the ALTER TABLE MOVE command is not an option. So export the tables in question. Then drop the tables. Precreate the tables in the appropriate tablespace. Then import with IGNORE=Y. The data will be imported into the tablespace you precreated the table in.

That's the simple version!

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland