Re: Migrating From AIX to Windows 2003

From: michael.shulman <Michael.Shulman_at_gmail.com>
Date: 28 Feb 2007 11:49:25 -0800

On Feb 26, 3:07 pm, "Matthias Hoys" <a..._at_spam.com> wrote:
> "BD" <robert.d..._at_gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I have a DSS system which has been heavily tuned over the past few
> > years. The system is tuned as well as it likely will be tuned. But
> > it's heavily loaded with jobs.
>
> > We are tasked with Migrating from AIX to Windows 2003.
>
> > I am reviewing the overall architectures, and while both systems will
> > be running 32-bit versions of Oracle, and both have a 32-bit OS
> > kernel, the underlying IBM hardware on the UNIX platform is 64-bit.
>
> > The licensing arrangments at the time were for 32-bit Oracle, hence
> > the 32-bit kernel.
>
> > I'm reviewing the overall platform specs, and am aware of the memory
> > addressing limitations surrounding 32-bit Windows - the /3GB switch, /
> > PAE, etc.
>
> > I am trying to assess from a very high level whether this architecture
> > conversion will impose a significant performance risk. As to disk
> > storage, both systems will access a SAN. I have little details on
> > differences between the SAN configurations, if any.
>
> > SOURCE SYSTEM:
> > AIX 5.2 - platform: IBM,7028-6C4
> > CPUs: 4x64bit @1002MHz
> > RAM: 7168MB
> > Kernel: 32Bit
> > Oracle: 9i 32Bit
>
> Very strange, since there does not exist a 32-bit version of Oracle 9i or
> 10g for AIX(only of 8i).
> Who told you this ? Did you verify it with Oracle ? Also, on AIX, 32-bit
> software can run on 64-bit OS if i'm not mistaken (as long as the hardware
> is 64-bit).
> Bad idea to go Windows :-) Why not Linux 64-bit ?
>
> Matthias

True, but there are 32 bit libraries that can be addressed with some very simple environment modifications. I believe it's under $ORACLE_HOME/lib32. As for the kernel/oracle version -- I know that at least on a client side oracle doesn't care how many bits AIX 5.x is running at, and frankly I can't imagine why any piece of third party, non low level software would care.
As far as going to windows, it's generally a bad idea, especially on a heavier operation, but since the decision is made, I would suggest taking a good long look at the memory used by Oracle and friends and ratcheting it up by at least a third. This is merely a very rough guess on my part and is dependent on the hardware specs of your P Series machine versus your Windows machine. I would further hazard to guess that just by Windows's inherent memory management limitations and problems, as well as hardware shortfalls which often result in significantly increased memory access times for the x86 chipset and common hardware busses versus P Series. I know the Power 5+ systems all use a non standard DDR2 type of RAM which just flies. Also keep in mind it's not just the benchmark of the processor -- if you're running on a different set of instructions, you're going to have different strengths and weaknesses.
Finally, remember that this is a perfect opportunity for gremlins. When switching an entire hardware infrastructure on a system, you're GOING to have problems, no matter how well you plan. Those problems will most likely have high level techs at your support company of choice saying "Well I've never see THAT happen before..." Good luck! Let me know if you have any specific questions. Received on Wed Feb 28 2007 - 13:49:25 CST