Re: Migrating From AIX to Windows 2003

From: Matthias Hoys <anti_at_spam.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 21:07:28 +0100

"BD" <robert.drea_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1172250219.709751.123170_at_p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com...
>I have a DSS system which has been heavily tuned over the past few
> years. The system is tuned as well as it likely will be tuned. But
> it's heavily loaded with jobs.
>
> We are tasked with Migrating from AIX to Windows 2003.
>
> I am reviewing the overall architectures, and while both systems will
> be running 32-bit versions of Oracle, and both have a 32-bit OS
> kernel, the underlying IBM hardware on the UNIX platform is 64-bit.
>
> The licensing arrangments at the time were for 32-bit Oracle, hence
> the 32-bit kernel.
>
> I'm reviewing the overall platform specs, and am aware of the memory
> addressing limitations surrounding 32-bit Windows - the /3GB switch, /
> PAE, etc.
>
> I am trying to assess from a very high level whether this architecture
> conversion will impose a significant performance risk. As to disk
> storage, both systems will access a SAN. I have little details on
> differences between the SAN configurations, if any.
>
> SOURCE SYSTEM:
> AIX 5.2 - platform: IBM,7028-6C4
> CPUs: 4x64bit @1002MHz
> RAM: 7168MB
> Kernel: 32Bit
> Oracle: 9i 32Bit

Very strange, since there does not exist a 32-bit version of Oracle 9i or 10g for AIX(only of 8i).
Who told you this ? Did you verify it with Oracle ? Also, on AIX, 32-bit software can run on 64-bit OS if i'm not mistaken (as long as the hardware is 64-bit).
Bad idea to go Windows :-) Why not Linux 64-bit ?

Matthias Received on Mon Feb 26 2007 - 14:07:28 CST