Re: Rookie Question - Memory Usage

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 07:33:29 -0800

richard.drouillard_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Good Day All,
>
> Long time reader, first time poster :)
>
> I am using 10g server on an aix 5.3 box. Is it normal that oracle
> consistently uses up all the RAM on my machine. I am constantly
> getting warnings from my OEM saying that memory usage is in the
> warning levels, always above 97%. I've added up how much the PGA/SGA
> should be taking up for each of the 4 instances on this machine and
> it's only about half of what my RAM usage is. Oracle server is the
> only thing running on this box. Any advice would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> - Rich

It is only normal if you didn't read the docs before installation and didn't pay any attention to the ability to configure usage when running the installation.

But 4 instances on one machine? Why? What are you getting for 4 data dictionaries, 4 undo tablespaces, 4 SGAs, that you couldn't get with multiple schemas?

IIRC Oracle's recommendation is that an instance should use 40% of the RAM on the server. If 4 instances my quick math tells me each should use about 10%.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington