Re: Rookie Question - Memory Usage

From: Jim Smith <usenet01_at_ponder-stibbons.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 15:23:52 +0000

In message <1172500557.188542.298660_at_s48g2000cws.googlegroups.com>, "richard.drouillard_at_gmail.com" <richard.drouillard_at_gmail.com> writes
>Good Day All,
>
>Long time reader, first time poster :)
>
>I am using 10g server on an aix 5.3 box. Is it normal that oracle
>consistently uses up all the RAM on my machine. I am constantly
>getting warnings from my OEM saying that memory usage is in the
>warning levels, always above 97%. I've added up how much the PGA/SGA
>should be taking up for each of the 4 instances on this machine and
>it's only about half of what my RAM usage is. Oracle server is the
>only thing running on this box. Any advice would be greatly
>appreciated.
>
>- Rich

How many users? User connections use memory over and above the memory used by the instance.

Use ps and top to see what else is actually running.

--
Jim Smith
Ponder Stibbons Limited <http://oracleandting.blogspot.com/>