Re: Oracle RAC 3'rd votedisk showing blank path

From: Andreas Sheriff <spamtrap_at_iion.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 08:50:08 -0800

"Steve Howard" <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1172161689.364139.190830_at_l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> On Feb 22, 11:07 am, "Andreas Sheriff" <spamt..._at_iion.com> wrote:
>> Preliminaries:
>>
>> Oracle 10g SE (10.2.0.3.0) 2 node RAC using Oracle Clusterware
>> RedHat EL 4 for both nodes
>> 2 promise arrays for shared storage
>> gigabit network for iSCSI storage, priv and pub interfaces
>> 1 chip 2 cores X86_64 CPU per node (Oracle is installed as the X86_64
>> version and so is OS).
>> 8 gigs memory per machine
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> One of my voting disks failed and I'm trying to replace it.
>> When I do crsctl query css vote disk, this is the result:
>> [root_at_zdb-01 ~]# crsctl query css votedisk
>> 0. 0 /dev/raw/raw3
>> 1. 0 /dev/raw/raw1
>> 2. 0
>>
>> In votedisk 2 it shows a blank path where the failed votedisk was. There
>> is
>> no way for me to delete it using crsctl delete css votedsk <path> because
>> there is no way to reference a blank path.
>>
>> In the OCR, the value for SYSTEM.css.diskfile and SYSTEM.css.diskfile1
>> seems
>> ok, but when it gets to SYSTEM.css.diskfile2 it gets a bit squirelley.
>> It shows UNDEF for SYSTEM.css.diskfile and extraneous keys
>> SYSTEM.css.diskfile2.2, SYSTEM.css.diskfile2.2.0, and
>> SYSTEM.css.diskfile2.2.0.3.
>>
>> I have another RAC system installed and it only shows
>> SYSTEM.css.diskfile2
>> for the third votedisk.
>>
>> I dumped the OCR and this is what it says for the diskfile[-x]:
>>
>> [SYSTEM.css.diskfile]
>>
>> ORATEXT : /dev/raw/raw3
>>
>> SECURITY : {USER_PERMISSION : PROCR_ALL_ACCESS, GROUP_PERMISSION :
>> PROCR_READ, OTHER_PERMISSION : PROCR_READ, USER_NAME : root, GROUP_NAME :
>> root}
>>
>> [SYSTEM.css.diskfile1]
>>
>> ORATEXT : /dev/raw/raw1
>>
>> SECURITY : {USER_PERMISSION : PROCR_ALL_ACCESS, GROUP_PERMISSION :
>> PROCR_READ, OTHER_PERMISSION : PROCR_READ, USER_NAME : root, GROUP_NAME :
>> root}
>>
>> [SYSTEM.css.diskfile2]
>>
>> UNDEF :
>>
>> SECURITY : {USER_PERMISSION : PROCR_ALL_ACCESS, GROUP_PERMISSION :
>> PROCR_NONE, OTHER_PERMISSION : PROCR_NONE, USER_NAME : root, GROUP_NAME :
>> root}
>>
>> [SYSTEM.css.diskfile2.2]
>>
>> UNDEF :
>>
>> SECURITY : {USER_PERMISSION : PROCR_ALL_ACCESS, GROUP_PERMISSION :
>> PROCR_NONE, OTHER_PERMISSION : PROCR_NONE, USER_NAME : root, GROUP_NAME :
>> root}
>>
>> [SYSTEM.css.diskfile2.2.0]
>>
>> UNDEF :
>>
>> SECURITY : {USER_PERMISSION : PROCR_ALL_ACCESS, GROUP_PERMISSION :
>> PROCR_NONE, OTHER_PERMISSION : PROCR_NONE, USER_NAME : root, GROUP_NAME :
>> root}
>>
>> [SYSTEM.css.diskfile2.2.0.3]
>>
>> UNDEF :
>>
>> SECURITY : {USER_PERMISSION : PROCR_ALL_ACCESS, GROUP_PERMISSION :
> [...]

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the advice, but I've since changed the voting disks paths from the original install. They are now:

/dev/raw/raw1
/dev/raw/raw2
/dev/raw/raw3

Respectively.
/dev/raw/raw2 (the votedisk in question) is online and working perfectly as a disk, but CRS doesn't see it anymore as a votedisk (just a blank path).

In the OCR itself, when looking at the OCR text from ocrdump, it shows UNDEF for the missing voting disk path.
I can't DD because the path shown in the OCR is invalid. I can't delete this invalid voting disk because there's no way for me to reference it using crsctl delete css votedisk <path>.

I found an old OCR backup that I can try next weekend (darn sysadmins keep messing up my backup scripts and deleting my backups!).

Ideally, what I'd like to accomplish is to remove this invalid votedisk and add a valid one.

Thanks,

Andreas Sheriff. Received on Thu Feb 22 2007 - 10:50:08 CST