Re: about sizing oracle

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 01:26:34 GMT

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 11:53:02 -0800, esthershensh wrote:

> HI, dear all
>
> I'm UDB DBA, new in oracle side.. for some reason , I was put into
> position to sizing oracle server...
>
> like # of CPU and # of Memory.
>
> I would be very appreciated for any suggestions on it.

Suggestions? The Rule of Thumb (R.O.T.[ten]) method ...

  1. Size it for UDB
  2. Go to TCP.org and - find a benchmark using UDB - find the same (or very similar benchmark) using Oracle
  3. Document the assumption of linear scalability
  4. Use ratio of UDB benchmark to Oracle benchmark sizing, brushed against your UDB sizing, as the basis for Oracle sizing.

The correct way, of course, is to actually fire up the application under Oracle using vendor-supplied hardware and do your own benchmark of the target configuration under target load.

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!