Re: when rebuild IOT ?

From: John K. Hinsdale <hin_at_alma.com>
Date: 2 Feb 2007 09:13:23 -0800

On Feb 2, 4:19 am, "sybrandb" <sybradb_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> ... DBAs do not bother, as they know disk is cheap and the wastage
> will return soon, as they know the behavior of their applications.

While this is generally true, and squeezing out every last GB these days isn't worth the time like it used to be, space optimization is
far from dead. I recently encountered a colleague's table that was so over-denormalized as to shrink in size by a factor of 25 after normalization into three tables. Things got much faster after that, especially summary queries that scanned or read all the data.

Yes disk is cheap, but accessing disk still take time, and time is still money. Put another way, smaller databases are still generally faster databases. Am I missing something?

Everyone has a different idea of "big." For me, 10B down to 3GB is not something I would consider huge, but 500GB down to 20GB (my colleague's table) was significant.

> Daniel is a real DBA.

Now here I agree. Which is why the initial comment was surprising. D.A. Morgan: shouldn't us designers/developers (continue to) worry at least generally about space consumption?

JH Received on Fri Feb 02 2007 - 11:13:23 CST