Re: Oracle Snapshot column size

From: Andy Hassall <andy_at_andyh.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 11:29:06 +0000

On 27 Jan 2007 01:30:37 -0800, "Vsevolod Afanassiev" <vafanassiev_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>Oracle 9.2.0.6.0 on Linux
>
>I neded to replicate a few tables from one database to another
>database. This is simple on-way replication with refresh on demand. So
>I created snapshot logs in the source (master) database and snapshots
>in the targer (slave) database, for example:
>
>However, column sizes in the snapshot are 3 times column sizes in the
>source database:
>
>In the source database:
>
>SQL> desc lnp_app_owner.lnp_array
> Name Null? Type
> ----------------------------------------- --------
>----------------------------
> ID NOT NULL NUMBER(38)
> BPI_ID NUMBER(38)
> STARTNUMBER VARCHAR2(10)
[snip]

>SQL> desc lnp_app_owner.lnp_array
> Name Null? Type
> ----------------------------------------- --------
> ID NOT NULL NUMBER(38)
> BPI_ID NUMBER(38)
> STARTNUMBER VARCHAR2(30)
[snip]

>Is it normal? Why would Oracle need to make them 3 timer wider?

 What's the database character set on each database? I recall there being bugs where describe would triple the length of VARCHAR2 columns under certain conditions in UTF-8 databases - this could be a symptom of such a bug.

--
Andy Hassall :: andy@andyh.co.uk :: http://www.andyh.co.uk
http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space :: disk and FTP usage analysis tool