Oracle Snapshot column size

From: Vsevolod Afanassiev <vafanassiev_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 Jan 2007 01:30:37 -0800

Hi,
Oracle 9.2.0.6.0 on Linux

I neded to replicate a few tables from one database to another database. This is simple on-way replication with refresh on demand. So I created snapshot logs in the source (master) database and snapshots in the targer (slave) database, for example:

SQL> create snapshot log on lnp_app_owner.lnp_array   2 with rowid including new values;

SQL> create materialized view lnp_app_owner.lnp_array   2 refresh with rowid
  3 as
  4 select *
  5 from lnp_array_at_lnp1p;

Materialized view created.

where database link points from target to the source database.

However, column sizes in the snapshot are 3 times column sizes in the source database:

In the source database:

SQL> desc lnp_app_owner.lnp_array

ID NOT NULL NUMBER(38) BPI_ID NUMBER(38) STARTNUMBER VARCHAR2(10) ENDNUMBER VARCHAR2(10) CENTREX NUMBER(38) PNVCODE CHAR(3) CNACODE CHAR(3) COMMENT CLOB STATUS CHAR(4) TYPE CHAR(6) ACCOUNTNUMBER VARCHAR2(35)

SQL> In the snapshot:

SQL> desc lnp_app_owner.lnp_array

ID NOT NULL NUMBER(38) BPI_ID NUMBER(38) STARTNUMBER VARCHAR2(30) ENDNUMBER VARCHAR2(30) CENTREX NUMBER(38) PNVCODE CHAR(9) CNACODE CHAR(9) COMMENT CLOB STATUS CHAR(12) TYPE CHAR(18) ACCOUNTNUMBER VARCHAR2(105)

SQL> Is it normal? Why would Oracle need to make them 3 timer wider? Received on Sat Jan 27 2007 - 03:30:37 CST