Re: Strange problem releasing inodes

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 26 Jan 2007 08:02:48 -0800

On Jan 26, 9:34 am, "Steve Howard" <stevedhow..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 26, 10:06 am, "EdStevens" <quetico_..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > OS: SunOS 5.10,Sun-Fire-V440
> > Oracle: 10.2.0.1.0
>
> > A couple of months ago we had an issue on this server with the OS
> > claiming we were running out of space on the file system holding most
> > of the Oracle files. Closer investigation showed 'some sort of
> > problem with the inodes'. We stopped the db, the SA ran some
> > utility, and the space usage dropped from 98% to around 50%.
>
> > A couple of weeks ago, began getting indications were were in the same
> > situation. Files are not growing, but reported FS usage is. Another
> > repair operation was scheduled for last night. As soon as we stopped
> > the databases the SA reported that reported FS usage immediately
> > dropped.
>
> > As far as database usage on this server, we have three databases. One
> > is rather small, vanilla db backing a packaged app (Clarity/Niku); one
> > is a physical standby running in recovery mode, and the third is an
> > 8.1.7.4 that serves as a proxy client between the app and the physical
> > standby in the event it becomes the primary. (Long story. Short
> > version is app was written in Pro*C 8.1, then the source code lost.
> > Solution is to put up an 8.1.7.4 for the app to connect to, and use
> > synonyms and a db link to pass all activity through to the 10.2 db
> > where the data actually resides.) We have a shell script that runs
> > daily (via cron) to delete old archive logs a few days after they have
> > been applied to the physical standby. Since the archivelogs are
> > written to a new directory each day
> > (/db01/archive/epspd/arc/<SID>/archivelog/<yyyymmdd>, the delete is
> > actually deleting the date-based directory, not the enumerated
> > archivelog files:
>
> > find ${TARGET_DIR} \( -name "*" -type d \) -mtime +$RETAIN_DAYS -exec
> > rm -rf {} \;
>
> > Any ideas?
>
> > BTW, today is my last day on this job -- starting a new job on Monday.
> > Of course, I'll be able to follow and participate in this thread, but
> > won't be able to work a TAR with MetaLink or actually follow up with
> > the SA's here. But I thought this was a pretty interesting problem
> > that was worth some discussion.Hi Ed,
>
> The only time we have seen this is when someone deleted a trace file to
> which Oracle was till writing, or deleted an archive log (or any file)
> to which Oracle was still writing. Do you have access to fuser or lsof
> to see what files are open by Oracle?
>
> HTH,
>
> Steve

I've never used either of those, but here's what I see:

first, with fuser:

cdnbwecp.epspd> pwd
/db01/archive/epspd/arc/EPSPDECP/archivelog cdnbwecp.epspd> ls -l
total 22

drwxr-x---   2 oracle   dba         2048 Jan 21 23:10 2007_01_21
drwxr-x---   2 oracle   dba         2048 Jan 22 23:12 2007_01_22
drwxr-x---   2 oracle   dba         2048 Jan 23 23:11 2007_01_23
drwxr-x---   2 oracle   dba         2048 Jan 24 23:11 2007_01_24
drwxr-x---   2 oracle   dba         2048 Jan 25 23:11 2007_01_25
drwxr-x---   2 oracle   dba         1024 Jan 26 09:13 2007_01_26
cdnbwecp.epspd> fuser 2007_01_21
2007_01_21:
cdnbwecp.epspd>

So, I'm thinking fuser is showing no processes have that directory. I also stepped down into the directory and

cdnbwecp.epspd> fuser o1_mf_1_8881_2v8ksr2t_.arc o1_mf_1_8881_2v8ksr2t_.arc:
cdnbwecp.epspd>

Looks like no processes have the individual file.

It appears lsof is not installed. At least there is no man page for it. Received on Fri Jan 26 2007 - 10:02:48 CST