Naming DEFAULT constraints

From: Paul <paulwragg2323_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 26 Jan 2007 08:09:33 -0800

Hi,

I am attempting to rename all of the DEFAULT constraints in a database so that they have controlled names (i.e. not system generated one).

My plan was to find the system generated name, drop the constraint then recreate it.

I cannot seem to find a way of creating a named default constraint on a colum.

I have tried:

ALTER TABLE <TABLE NAME>
ADD CONSTRAINT DF1_<TABLE NAME> DEFAULT <VALUE> (<COLUMN>);

This fails

I have also tried:

ALTER TABLE <TABLE_NAME>
MODIFY
(<COLUMN_NAME> DEFAULT DF1<TABLE_NAME> <VALUE>;

Neither work and I am unsure why.

Does anybody know if this is possible and if so how I can acheive it. It is not good enough just to be able to rename the existing constraint as I need to be able to add new named ones in the future.

If anybody can suggest anything it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Paul Received on Fri Jan 26 2007 - 10:09:33 CST