Duplicate Database from filesystem to ASM using Netbackup 6

From: Manuela Atoui <atoui_at_fiz-chemie.de>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 11:59:59 +0100

Dear All,
we want to duplicate one of our databases with RMAN to a remote host. I'm a bit precarious because the source DB is a production system, I haven't done restores to a remote client with Netbackup 6.0 yet and it's my first ASM instance.
I want to ensure that the target DB is not damaged during the duplication process.
We already raised a support call with Symantec, but maybe someone with more experience could assist me with a few open questions.

all machines involved use SLES 9, Oracle 10.2.0.2.0 source DB: 2 node RAC, filesystem OCFS2
duplicate host: ASM instance
Media Manger: Netbackup 6.0
we use a catalog DB.

initial situation
- took a full backup on node sourcehost, checked it with BACKUP FILESPERSET 12 DATABASE;
RESTORE DATABASE VALIDATE CHECK LOGICAL; Backup is valid.

Sorry, I'll have to anonymize the host names.

Regarding the Netbackup configuration, steps should be similar to a redirected restore.
Sorry if the URL wraps.
Src:
http://www.yorku.ca/computng/downloads/unix/files/unprotected/NetBackup/Doc/NetBackupManuals.html 'Netbackup 6.0 for Oracle, sysadmin Guide For UNIX, Linux' , 'Using RMAN to Perform a Redirected Restore' , p.119.

Destination Client B (destinationhost):
oracle_at_destinationhost:~/create_duplicate_db> cat /etc/passwd |grep oracle oracle:x:1000:1001:Oracle Software Owner:/opt/oracle:/bin/bash

Master Server (masterserver) should allow client destinationhost a redirected restore:
Create file:
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/altnames/destinationhost.domainname.top-level-domain <- name of destination host
Content:
sourcehost.domainname.top-level-domain <- name of source host

Question 1: is the Server Configuration correct?

Question 2: is this correct?

2. bp.conf file on source client (sourcehost); Make sure the variable CLIENT_NAME is not set or set to the hostname of source client:
oracle_at_sourcehost:~/rman_backup/trace> cat /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf SERVER = masterserver.domainname.top-level-domain SERVER = sourcehost.domainname.top-level-domain CLIENT_NAME = sourcehost.domainname.top-level-domain EMMSERVER = masterserver.domainname.top-level-domain MEDIA_SERVER = sourcehost.domainname.top-level-domain oracle_at_sourcehost:~/rman_backup/trace>

bp.conf file on destination host:
oracle_at_destinationhost:~/create_duplicate_db> cat /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf
SERVER = masterserver.domainname.top-level-domain CLIENT_NAME = destinationhost.domainname.top-level-domain MEDIA_SERVER = masterserver.domainname.top-level-domain

Question 3: Are the above settings corrrect?

3. destination host uses a spfile with ASM specific ASM parameters ((DB_CREATE_FILE_DEST, DB_CREATE_ONLINE_LOG_DEST_n):

*.db_cache_size=427819008
*.DB_CREATE_FILE_DEST='+DATA'
*.DB_CREATE_ONLINE_LOG_DEST_1='+DATA'
*.DB_CREATE_ONLINE_LOG_DEST_2='+DATA'
*.db_name='AUX'
*.instance_name='AUX'
*.undo_tablespace='UNDOTBS1' <- UNDO TS of source client

Src:
http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/rcmdupdb006.htm#BRADV169 Database Backup and Recovery Advanced User's Guide Using RMAN DUPLICATE DATABASE: Examples
paragraph RMAN DUPLICATE DATABASE From File System to ASM: Example

4. Grant write permissions to the directory to which the datafiles will be restored:
Ensured it with configuration of the ASM lib: destinationhost:/etc/init.d # ./oracleasm configure Configuring the Oracle ASM library driver. ....

Default user to own the driver interface []: oracle Default group to own the driver interface []: dba Start Oracle ASM library driver on boot (y/n) [n]: y Fix permissions of Oracle ASM disks on boot (y/n) [y]: y

Writing Oracle ASM library driver configuration:       done
Mounting ASMlib driver filesystem:                     done
Scanning system for ASM disks:                         done

Already ensured that there is enough free space on the ASM diskgroup DATA.

5. set up a password file on the destination host
6. Started the instance on destinationhost in nomount stage
7. performed a succesful RMAN connect to
a) target DB

b) catalog DB
c) auxiliary Instanz (destinationhost)
oracle_at_destinationhost:~/create_duplicate_db> rman TARGET SYS/passwd_at_DED_GUIDES_sourcehost.domainname.top-level-domain CATALOG rman/passwd_at_RMAN_sourcehost.domainname.top-level-domain AUXILIARY SYS/passwd_at_DED_AUX_destinationhost.domainname.top-level-domain trace connect_auxiliary.txt

connected to target database: GUIDES (DBID=2952484723) connected to recovery catalog database
connected to auxiliary database: AUX (not mounted)

Some open questions:

Are the following commands performed from host destinationhost? destinationhost: ORACLE_SID=AUX
sourcehost: ORACLE_SID=GUIDES

export on destinationhost ORACLE_SID:
oracle_at_destinationhost:~/create_duplicate_db> export ORACLE_SID=AUX

Qustion 5: Ist this the correct SID or di I have to export ORACLE_SID=GUIDES on destinationhost?

8. on destintation host, when connected to target, catalog and auxiliary instance, configure RMAN auxiliary channels: CONFIGURE AUXILIARY CHANNEL 1 DEVICE TYPE 'SBT_TAPE' PARMS "ENV=(NB_ORA_POLICY=sourcehost-oracle, NB_ORA_SERV=masterserver.domainname.top-level-domain)";

CONFIGURE AUXILIARY CHANNEL 2 DEVICE TYPE 'SBT_TAPE' PARMS "ENV=(NB_ORA_POLICY=sourcehost-oracle, NB_ORA_SERV=masterserver.domainname.top-level-domain)";

Question 6: Is this sufficient or do I have to specify NB_ORA_CLIENT=sourcehost also?

Start the duplication process with the following RMAN command: DUPLICATE TARGET DATABASE TO AUX

      LOGFILE GROUP 1 ('+DATA','+DATA') SIZE 100M,
              GROUP 2 ('+DATA','+DATA') SIZE 100M;

Any corrections, suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance and have a nice day
Manuela Atoui Received on Wed Jan 17 2007 - 04:59:59 CST