Re: advantages of unix for Oracle

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 17 Jan 2007 01:14:29 -0800

On Jan 17, 6:38 am, "Steve Robin" <ocma..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Steve Robin wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> > Would anyone please tell me what are advantages of unix, solaris or any
> > other UNIX flavour os for Oracle as compare to Windows OS.
> > Please provide me any link if possible.I read another forum about it, it is not clear about which unix flavour
> is better then another. I want to know that, I hope you will help me to
> choose a better platform for oracle.

Any flavor of Unix is to be preferred to Windows because

- Windows is essentially a non-scalable O/S
- Windows has never been 100 percent downwards compatible
- Microsoft doesn't draw a clear line between O/S and applications like
Office. Ie: Microsoft provides O/S driver upgrades by means of new versions of Office
- Windows is vulnerable for viruses, Unix isn't.

I would also always choose Unix instead of Linux, as Linux is just a bag of rpms and you always need to assemble your O/S from numerous places. In short: in a commercial environment, I want to be able to blame someone. If I can buy Oracle + Linux from Oracle, that is a good thing, because in that case I can blame one vendor.

My experience with Unix tells me Sun hardware breaks down most often. On HP and IBM hardware failures are a rarity.  Also HP and IBM have better management tools.

My 2 eurocents

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA