Re: Is it possible to know the reason for invalid function

From: Raghav <sharma.raghvendra_at_gmail.com>
Date: 12 Jan 2007 05:15:26 -0800

On Jan 12, 2:02 pm, "Raghav" <sharma.raghven..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 12, 12:06 pm, "sybrandb" <sybra..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jan 12, 11:21 am, "Raghav" <sharma.raghven..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Dear,
>
> > > Well, I am familiar with the concept. But these two schemas (living in
> > > the same database) do not talk to each other in any way.
> > > there are no public synonyms in the system (by policy) and there are no
> > > cross references. As I suggested, these two are two diff environments
> > > for same applications (dev and test), they just don't talk to each
> > > other.
>
> > > I hope I have added to the clarity of the situation.
>
> > > regards
> > > raghav..Apparently your assertion is incorrect. They *are* intertwined,
> > otherwise you wouldn't have run into problems.
> > Could you also please explain why you ignored David's request to stop
> > top-posting?
> > Aren't you aware this forum loathes top-posting?
> > If so why do you insist on top-posting?
>
> > --
> > Sybrand Bakker
> > Senior Oracle DBADear Sybrand,
>
> I replied about the top posting thing, I just did not know the thing.
> Sorry. :(
>
> As for the assertion about the two schemas talking/or not talking to
> each other. I guess I would take your advice and Re-Re-check the
> connectivity.
> The problem for me is, by design, they just should not talk to each
> other at all...
>
> - all synonyms are private
> - db links have been checked n times and point to separate databases.
>
> this was the reason, I was trying to ask the question the way I put it.
>
> DB1 has two schemas Test and DEV. These two schemas talk to two diff
> databases Warehouse1 and warehouse2 using db links.
>
> Could you/or others give me a hint as to where can I start.
>
> regards
> raghav..

Hi Group,

I was running a test case situation and found following.. perhaps you can help me analyze this better.

I wrote a test function tst_f1 which invokes a select on local objects (and does NOT use any synonym from warehouse db). I compiled it in both the schemas, DEV and Test.

I wrote another test function tst_f2 which invokes a select on a synonym over the db link (the the warehouse db). I compiled it in both the schemas, DEV and Test.

The results were like this :

  1. tst_f1 : compilation was fine. No effect of compilation of one on other...
  2. tst_f2 : When Test version was compiled after DEV, the DEV copy became invalid.

>From this, I understood that there should be a problem with my db link
config.

currently the global_names parameter for the DB1 is set to FALSE. Could that have something to do with this behaviour ? I am new to db links anyway, so just wondering...

Looking forward to replies..

regards
raghav.. Received on Fri Jan 12 2007 - 07:15:26 CST