Re: Difference between OracleDataSource and OracleXADataSource

From: Valentin Minzatu <valentinminzatu_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 10 Jan 2007 07:03:11 -0800

brian wrote:
> Valentin Minzatu wrote:
> > As far as I know - I hope this is right, if not somebody please correct
> > me - for distributed transactions between the middle tier and the
> > database (i.e. MDB or such) you'd need XA driver.
>
> With this you imply that the standard datasource would not provide the
> ACID attributes in the context of MDB. I assume the OracleDataSource to
> have a better performance but is this the only justification to use it?
> Other than in this point I wouldn't see any advantage in
> OracleDataSource over the XA version and thus always use the latter.

Yes, my understanding is that using XA is the only way for ensuring transaction integrity once it runs across middle tier and database. I am not aware of any performance improvement or decrease by using XA. I usually try to stay away of using distributed transactions between database and application. Received on Wed Jan 10 2007 - 09:03:11 CST