Re: unicode performance penalty

From: Andreas Piesk <a.piesk_at_gmx.net>
Date: 8 Jan 2007 13:43:59 -0800

applicant2006_at_rambler.ru schrieb:

> I'm in the process of migrating our database to Unicode and have
> discovered that it works 4 to 5 times faster than non-unicode database.

unicode is 4-5 times faster? you mean slower, right?

> Oracle docs says that Unicode db should perform same or better than a
> non-unicode one. Perhaps someone can verify my configuration and point
> possible problem areas ?
>
> Server : Oracle 9.2.0.1.0

i found 9.2.0.4 the first usable 9i version. upgrade possible?

> Client : java thin jdbc ( ojdbc14.jar )

have you tried 10g jdbc driver? 9i jdbc has several problems. we generally use the latest 10g jdbc oci drivers, even with 9i databases.

> Before the conversion to Unicode we could perform about 6000 inserts
> per second.
> After the conversion we can perform only about 1800-2000 inserts per
> second, even if I triple RAM used by Oracle.

more RAM wouldn't help to speed up the inserts. have you determined where all the time was spent?

regards,
-ap Received on Mon Jan 08 2007 - 15:43:59 CST