Re: listener.ora not found.

From: EscVector <Junk_at_webthere.com>
Date: 4 Jan 2007 12:46:12 -0800

clement rajappa wrote:
> Hi
> I have oracle 9i database installed on windows xp OS. The issue is i do
> not find
> listener.ora file in the /network/admin dir. Nor is the listener
> service registered
> under OS services. But i am able to work perfectly well with sqlplus. I
> also have
> forms 6i installed on a separate home in the same m/c.
> When i connect to the database from forms 6i without connect string it
> connects
> perfectly fine.
> My question is how does the connection take place without listener.ora
> and
> listener service under OS.
> Appreciate your help
> regards
> clement

col NETWORK_SERVICE_BANNER a100
select * from v$session_connect_info;

the above query should have no information in the NETWORK_SERVICE_BANNER column if you are connecting via Oracle Bequeath NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows, this is blank if bequeathed with no tnsnames in my 10.2.0.2 version depending on config but not in 9.2.0....
tnsnames can be configured to use IPC or named pipes in a similar way when using the listener for local instances.

Setting the default sid in the registry or via set ORACLE_SID=sidname at the command prompt will allow Bequeathed connections w/o tnsnames or listener running.

The SQL*Plus GUI reads the registry setting unless you set in command prompt and then launch the GUI. I suggest not using the GUI at all and only using the cmd prompt.

to test:
rename listener.ora, tnsnames.ora

connect cmd
set ORACLE_SID=<yoursid>