Re: Life beyond DBA....

From: <bbcworldtour_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 20 Dec 2006 03:54:25 -0800

extents skrev:
> I wonder if anyone else feels the same way as I do... when you work as
> a DBA for a quiet sometime and come to point in your career where you
> want to explore other avenues within the technology sector. What do you
> guys suggest? IA, BA, PM .....

In 2001 things soured within the company that I was doing DBA work for, and I decided that the time had come to do something else (or rather do something somewhere else)

I got a job teaching database technology at an engineering college that was starting a new software engineering programme. It turned out to be really great in a number of ways:

Of course there were some downsides to it:

After five years of teaching I've gone back to a job in the IT industry. I think at some point you have the make a decision: are you an IT professional who teaches, or a teacher, who happens to teach IT? I guess I wanted to be the first one, so it was time to get back and get my hands dirty again (and my son is five years older and getting more of a life of his own)

>From my personal experience, doing a stint teaching can be very
rewarding. I certainly enjoyed it

Bo Brunsgaard Received on Wed Dec 20 2006 - 05:54:25 CST