Re: Musings on 'new' OFA standard

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 09:51:05 -0800

EscVector wrote:

> DA Morgan wrote:

>> sybrandb wrote:
>>> Oracle 10g Grid Control seems to be build on top of iAS. In iAS all
>>> layers have their own homes, ie OHS, Infrastructure, and database.
>>>
>>> This applies to Grid Control too.
>>> As Oracle has teamed up with hardware vendors, you can't change that.
>>> Or is the real reason the various layers have been developed by
>>> different teams, and no proper quality assurance is in order.

>> Definitely developed by different teams. And seemingly rarely do they
>> talk with each other. Here's one of my favorites:
>>

>> SQL> select distinct package_name from all_Arguments
>> 2 where object_name = 'SLEEP';
>>

>> PACKAGE_NAME
>> ------------------------------
>> DBMS_BACKUP_RESTORE
>> DBMS_DRS
>> DBMS_LOCK
>>

>> And yes they all seem to do exactly the same thing with
>> exactly the same syntax.
>>

>> BEGIN
>> dbms_backup_restore(3);
>> dbms_drs.sleep(3);
>> dbms_lock.sleep(3);
>> END;
>> /
>>

>> see you in 9 seconds. <g>
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>> (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
>> www.psoug.org
>
> I think this new "architecture" is Oracle shifting the cost to the dba.
>  Rather than make everything look nice, they simply install multiple
> homes with multiple java engines and binaries, thus containing any one
> feature to that home.  This way they don't have to make everything work
> together, they simply have too make everything connect together.  It is
> not fun to look at, but maybe it is better.
>
> I don't like that grid installs on 10.1 by default even though it lists
> as 10.2.   I have an uneasy feeling with this.

I caught that too and made it part of the Grid Control class we teach here at PSOUG. It would seem the person developing the text for OUI wasn't in on what actually was tested and shipped.

On one hand I can agree with your criticism of Oracle ... but on the other ... thinking of the mess made by Microsoft with DLLs ... I'm more than willing to sacrifice a little disk to make sure things work as they were developed and tested.