Re: Theory Questions concerning MVD and Functional Dependency.....

From: Solomon_Man <cmgray74_at_gmail.com>
Date: 12 Dec 2006 09:45:34 -0800

Vladimir,

Yes,
I believe so.

Suspense....Like I said I did not follow the whole multivalue dependency Thing.

MVD - A condition in a relation with three or more attributes in which independent attributes appear to have relationships they do not have. Formally in a relation R(A,B,C), having a key (A,B,C) where A is matched with multiple values of B (or of C or both), B does not determine C, and C does not de-termine B.

Nothing about A determining B or anything about A or B except A is matched with multiple values of B in a MVD situation. So If I assume the below definition of Function dependency;

Functional dependency is a relationship between attributes in which one attribute or group of attributes determines the value of another.

It is possible that A determines B, so the answer is True.

Thanks,
Chris