Re: Help: How should I live with 'literal' application

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 9 Dec 2006 11:30:40 -0800

emdproduction_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> Sybrandb,
>
> Thanks for your reply. I do not think more memory will help us. We
> have already have 4G on the box, SGA is setting at 800M. What we are
> having is mostly "latch free" wait, more memory on shared_pool_size
> will make "latch free" wait worse, that is my understanding.
>
> Let me ask you this, will RAC (real application cluster) help us here?
> As most of the pressure is on the memory, not I/O, we can let this 'bad
> designed' module application go to one instance, and rest of them goes
> to another instance, how do you like the idea?
>
> Thanks

Technically possible. The 'bad app' would need their own entry in tnsnames.ora to make sure they connect to a specific instance, and don't use load balancing.
Be aware you get two data caches, which will be subject to Cache Fusion. (Ie : as soon as a block gets dirty on instance 1, instance 2 will be notified)
This doesn't apply to the library cache.

 --
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Sat Dec 09 2006 - 13:30:40 CST