Re: Checkpoint Not Complete

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 8 Dec 2006 07:35:39 -0800

On Dec 8, 10:11 am, "ExecMan" <john..._at_mtekusa.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Quick question, I have messages in my alert log like this:
>
> Thread 1 cannot allocate new log, sequence 584375
> Checkpoint not complete
>
> However, the database is not in archive log mode. So, what is this
> checkpoint really accomplishing? Does it just tell Oracle it can reuse
> the log?
>
> John

Checkpoints place the database datasets into a consistent point in time from which Oracle can start forward recovery operations and then to which it can perform rollback operations. In other words checkpoints provide a starting point for recovery operations.

To eliminate the problem you need to do a combination of adding more online redo logs and/or increasing the size of your existing online redo logs.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Dec 08 2006 - 09:35:39 CST