Re: OracleXE is garbage

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 28 Nov 2006 10:43:21 -0800

reqfoo wrote:
> Once upon a time I used PostgreSQL and was happy. Then one day my
> employer told me that we were all to use OracleXE while working on the
> big new project. Since then I've come to hate Oracle.

Maybe you should get a job that involves PostgreSQL then?

You can become a member of the technology network for free and use ( for development purposes subject to the licensing restrictions ) the regular enterprise edition packages if you so desire.

If it's a "big new project" then it may grow outside the limits of OracleXE.

> Why is the installation so huge?

Lots of integrated features and sample databases and code etc.

> Why does my computer crawl on startup if the DB is configured as a
> service that automatically starts up?

Maybe you don't have enough memory? Many of us would recommend ditching windows and using a different os.

You may not need to start oracle at machine startup, you can change this setup as appropriate for your usage.

> Why does the web-based UI for the DB take a year to come up when I
> haven't accessed it in awhile?

Maybe your machine resources or disk IO configuration or operating system choice are involved?

> Why does the web-based UI give me an "invalid statement" error for its
> own dynamically generated query?

Give us a specific example please it's hard to provide help on such a general statement as yours above.

> I've also used several other Oracle products in the last couple years
> and every single experience has contributed to the same verdict:

Perhaps your mind was made up already before you started this project?

Give yourself adequate resources to work in a productive manner is my recommendation.

> Oracle software might perform well in *very* specific situations, but
> in general it is bloated garbage.

The oracle learning curve does require a lot of time and effort and discipline to get to a good developing capable basis.

If your projects involve creating generic database designs and then forcing them onto as many DBMS's as you can that's not a good model for being productive with oracle or other database systems.

> Thoughts?

Tom Kyte has many books that you might consider learning from. Received on Tue Nov 28 2006 - 12:43:21 CST