Re: How can I delete one of two instances?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 27 Nov 2006 16:48:04 -0800

Shinyday wrote:
> Hi all,
> thanks for advices. I just make some considerations for installing X
> utility on my desktop.
> Maybe just test with a test database on another pc... and what I want
> to do is just a deletion
> of a instance. The constellation is just that as I wrote above. I
> always redefine SID with 'export ORACLE_SID' when I work there. And I
> also think it may be easier that I make the change of SID permanently.
> However the question is how I could delete (or say 'remove') one
> unneeded instance and then I want to delete the data files which
> belongs to that unneeded instance also. Is it impossible?

Not only not impossible, but see metalink Note:279519.1 for instructions (but stop before deleting the software).

If you want to do it by command line only, just set your ORACLE_SID and ps |grep $ORACLE_SID to be sure it isn't running (and stop it if it is), find your oratab file and delete the line with the unwanted SID, cd to $ORACLE_HOME/dbs and delete any files with the SID in the name, then delete any datafiles for the database. You might want to do a find on files or directories with the SID in the name, oftentimes you can find old backups and archived logs that way. In fact, before you do this you might want to have the instance running and show parameters, so you can see where things are like the data files and archived logs.

However, as others have alluded to, you need to get your terminology straight. If you are really talking about instances and not databases, you need the instructions on how to remove an instance from RAC.

Also, please don't top post in this group. That means either interleave your responses in your reply, or scroll down to the bottom before you start typing.

> Thanks
> Shin
>
> DA Morgan ÀÛ¼º:
>

> > An instance, technically speaking, can not be deleted.

Sure about that? Depends what you are deleting from. :-)

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Trains with flat tires: