Re: Times do not add up in 10046 trace file

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 27 Nov 2006 09:41:59 -0800

Tom Churchward wrote:

> >> I apologise unreservedly, but I hope you'll find the tool useful all
> >> the same.
> >
> >You might want to open up a separate thread for this topic. I wouldn't
> >worry too much about being labeled as a potential source of spam in
> >this newsgroup if you feel strongly that you have produced something of
> >value ... but the marketplace is probably a better match.
> >
> >How does this tool compare with the ( currently not supported hoping
> >that will change again ) excellent tool orasrp ( a hotsos "like"
> >resource profiler )?
>
> At the risk of starting a flame war...and/or being re-accused of
> spamming I'd like to answer your question so here goes.
>
> I've never used orasrp so I cannot comment on this product. I have
> used hotsos P4 and Cary Millsap demonstrated his P5 tool at a seminar
> I attended back in January this year. When I put CM's files thru my
> tool I get results that are as near as makes no difference i.e within
> a millisecond. I've had similar results with files I put thru their
> P4 tool. While I was developing the profiler, the site where I was
> working at decided not to buy the hotsos offering as we were able to
> clear all their performance problems with my profiler. I recognise
> that what I'm offering probably isn't as sophisticated in respect of
> presentation, configuration options etc. but the essential part, i.e.
> full response time accounting and maintaining the cursor hierarchy is
> accurate. I invite you to read the notes and try it for yourself and
> please do let me have your feedback

Thanks fine I will take a look eventually. In my opinion ( still hoping orasrp lives again ) it's going to be hard for a product to compete between the fully featured commercial product that Hotsos puts out and the open source and very comprehensive and open source orasrp product.

At the moment orasrp is not supported by was enhanced to work thru 10.2 ... since my site is still working on a 10.2 migration plan that means I have a tool that works ( for free ) for several years.

When I do have time do you want me to send you a quick comparison between your tool and orasrp?

> So yeah, I really do think I've put something together which could be
> very useful to members of the group. I take your point though the
> marketplace newsgroup may have been a better place but originally the
> thread was about 10046 trace file timings not adding up - as we all
> know that's where full response time accounting comes in and I thought
> the original poster may have benefited from giving it a go. So, once
> again sorry for any offence.

In this newsgroup we have many people that spam by accident from time to time and several repeat offenders that should know better. Received on Mon Nov 27 2006 - 11:41:59 CST