Re: Times do not add up in 10046 trace file

From: Tom Churchward <tcprof_at_tolan.fr>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 18:14:34 +0100

On 27 Nov 2006 08:22:31 -0800, "hpuxrac" <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Tom Churchward wrote:
>> On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 15:19:11 -0800, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
>> wrote:

>> >This is pure unadulterated spam.
>> >
>> >You are using our usenet group to promote your product as clearly
>> >stated on your website:
>> >
>> >"Is tcprof free? For the duration of the beta test use of tcprof will
>> >not incur a charge."
>> >
>> >Please apologize to the group and in the future post at c.d.o.marketplace.
>> >
>> >Thank you.
>>
>> I apologise unreservedly, but I hope you'll find the tool useful all
>> the same.
>
>You might want to open up a separate thread for this topic. I wouldn't
>worry too much about being labeled as a potential source of spam in
>this newsgroup if you feel strongly that you have produced something of
>value ... but the marketplace is probably a better match.
>
>How does this tool compare with the ( currently not supported hoping
>that will change again ) excellent tool orasrp ( a hotsos "like"
>resource profiler )?

At the risk of starting a flame war...and/or being re-accused of spamming I'd like to answer your question so here goes.

I've never used orasrp so I cannot comment on this product. I have used hotsos P4 and Cary Millsap demonstrated his P5 tool at a seminar I attended back in January this year. When I put CM's files thru my tool I get results that are as near as makes no difference i.e within a millisecond. I've had similar results with files I put thru their P4 tool. While I was developing the profiler, the site where I was working at decided not to buy the hotsos offering as we were able to clear all their performance problems with my profiler. I recognise that what I'm offering probably isn't as sophisticated in respect of presentation, configuration options etc. but the essential part, i.e. full response time accounting and maintaining the cursor hierarchy is accurate. I invite you to read the notes and try it for yourself and please do let me have your feedback

So yeah, I really do think I've put something together which could be very useful to members of the group. I take your point though the marketplace newsgroup may have been a better place but originally the thread was about 10046 trace file timings not adding up - as we all know that's where full response time accounting comes in and I thought the original poster may have benefited from giving it a go. So, once again sorry for any offence.

I'd like to say that there will always be a free version of the tool available in one form or another - does that let me off being a spammer?

Tom Churchward Received on Mon Nov 27 2006 - 11:14:34 CST