Re: TNS could not resolve the connect identifier

From: Hank Murphy <hmurphy_at_earthlink.newt>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 20:06:26 GMT

<antonyliu2002_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1164236333.227101.208170_at_l39g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...
> I've searched this group before I decided to post this question,
> fearing being humiliated again by the notorious super Oracle DBA from
> the Netherlands whose last name is Bakker. Mr. Bakker, please stop
> right here immediately.

My sympathies lie with Mr. Bakker, who makes a quite commendable effort to answer questions - at least the first time they are presented - and whose contributions should be appreciated for the knowledge they impart rather than excoriated for what some perceive as a less than user-friendly presentation. Having said that, I will make one or two other suggestions which may or may not assist you.

<snip>

> I can tnsping mydatabase with no problem on both the development
> machine (Machine C) and the productive web server (Machine B). So, I
> guess this issue is probably not related to the TNSNAME setting.

A common problem in dealing with Oracle for those with a Windows orientation is to recognize that there is no registry...parameters are present in multiple locations. In other posts, you have indicated that you cannot start SQL*Plus from either machine. This would seem to contradict a successful use of TNSPING, *if* SQL*Plus and TNSPING were using the same parameter files. I suspect that they are not.

From the Windows desktop on all three machines, use the F3 search function to locate all instances of tnsnames.ora. It's likely that you will notice multiple versions of tnsnames.ora. (The instances in directories with "sample" in the path can usually be ignored.) If you have multiple versions, ensure that the definition of your target data base is the same in all versions within the same machine. Ensure that the TCP/IP address and port definitions match across the machines, and in the listener.ora file on the Oracle data base host.

A similar exercise may be necessary for the sqlnet.ora file.

You may find that your DB connection is using a different tnsnames.ora file than TNSPING.

You may also benefit from investigating use of SET ORACLE_SID=[instance name]. But this also may be completely unrelated to your problem.

If SQL*Plus does not connect, I don't think you really have a connection, and I would suggest getting that working first. I would recommend starting with the /nolog option as Mr. Hooper suggested.

Is there not an Oracle DBA at your installation to whom you could address this question?

A 10g Net Services Administration Guide is available at:

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/network.102/b14212/toc.htm

You will be best served by reviewing the parameter definitions in the various .ora files in this manual.

Hank Murphy
speaking only for myself Received on Fri Nov 24 2006 - 14:06:26 CST