TNS could not resolve the connect identifier

From: <antonyliu2002_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 22 Nov 2006 14:58:53 -0800

I've searched this group before I decided to post this question, fearing being humiliated again by the notorious super Oracle DBA from the Netherlands whose last name is Bakker. Mr. Bakker, please stop right here immediately.

I am not a database person, I do web development with ASP.NET 2.0 for IIS. The backend database for my web application is Oracle 10.1.0.2.0.

This database resides on Machine A.
The Web server is running on Machine B.
I am developing the web application on Machine C.

>From within Visual Web Developer 2005 Express on Machine C, I
successfully configured the database connection. So, from the development machine, the web application works great, and the ListBox gets populated with data from the Oracle database nicely.

But, if I check out this web application from the web sever on Machine B, I get the following error:

<error>
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified.
</error>

And the following the portion for connectionString in web.config for this web application:

  <connectionStrings>
    <add name="MyOracleConnectionString" connectionString="Provider=MSDAORA.1;Data Source=MyDataSource;Persist Security Info=True;Password=MyPassword;User ID=MyUserID"

      providerName="System.Data.OleDb" />   </connectionStrings>

I can tnsping mydatabase with no problem on both the development machine (Machine C) and the productive web server (Machine B). So, I guess this issue is probably not related to the TNSNAME setting.

Is it because the same database provider is not installed on the productive web server (Machine B)? Would you kindly share your wisdom please? Thanks. Received on Wed Nov 22 2006 - 16:58:53 CST