Re: How can I delete one of two instances?

From: Jim Smith <usenet_at_ponder-stibbons.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 11:04:05 +0000

In message <1164360685.342420.6910_at_m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>, Shinyday <Shinyday_at_gmail.com> writes
>I have 2 oracle (9i) instances on one linux system (RedHat).
>Say they are test_1 with SID test_1_S and test_2 with SID
>test_2_SID. The problem is now the instance test_1 is not
>active and the instance test_2 is running currently. However
>the system sees test_1_s as the active SID. Therefore I
>must export always the test_2_s for running database if I
>want to connect as sysdba. This is very annoying for me.
>So, I want to delete this inactive instance test_1 without
>touching the active instnance test_2.
>Could someone help me for this issue?

Oracle on Linux doesn't really have a system wide default sid in the way that windows has.

Your default SID is probably defined in your login profile (.profile or .bash_profile in your home directory) or the system profile (/etc/profile)

Look for lines like

ORAENV_ASK=NO
ORACLE_SID=test_1_s
. oraenv
ORAENV_ASK= Other steps you can take include removing the entry from /etc/oratab

--
Jim Smith
Ponder Stibbons Limited <http://oracleandting.blogspot.com/>