Re: datapump, expdp, is very slow

From: Snonck <snonck_at_snog.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 08:52:00 +1000

DA Morgan wrote:

> Snonck wrote:

>> Brian Peasland wrote:

>>> I have noticed that expdp does take some "think time" before data
>>> actually starts getting dumped. But is this really slow? Typically,
>>> not for me. But I guess the more objects you have to export, the
>>> longer this may take. How long is "ages"?
>>
>> Did some tests today. I dumped a 40Gb database in about 2 hours using
>> exp on a 8.1.7.4 database. I then upgraded the database to 10.2.0.2,
>> using the dbua, and then did a expdp that took about 5 hours (both on
>> the same machine)! There is something definitely going wrong, but I
>> haven't had enough time to try a few more things yet. The most time is
>> spent dumping the meta data. The actual table data owned by the users
>> is dumped quite fast. I started a meta data dump before I left tonight
>> and it was going so slow.
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Brian
>
> Given that you said "upgraded" I would take a look at any legacy
> parameters that might be holding you back. Also, it might be helpful,
> for us to see your DataPump instructions.

It seems obvious that I'm hitting some bug or that maybe it isn't that simple a problem because there doesn't seem to be much information on datapump performing badly :( When I get some more time I'll look into it in more depth. I just thought if there was something simple I had missed then people could give me some quick tips but maybe not many people are actually using datapump yet?

The datapump settings I used were:

filesize=3G
parallel=18
directory=expdp1
dumpfile=expdp1:expdp_full_UPGR_1_%U.dmp

         ,expdp2:expdp_full_UPGR_2_%U.dmp
         ,expdp3:expdp_full_UPGR_3_%U.dmp
#content=metadata_only
full=y
status=30
logfile=expdp_full_UPGR.log

I am getting lots of waits as follows, but I have to read up a lot on these as I haven't come across them before:

PX Deq Credit: need buffer
PX Deq: Execute Reply

Streams AQ: waiting for time
Streams AQ: qmn coordinator i
Streams AQ: qmn slave idle wa

PX Deq: Table Q Normal
PX Deq Credit: send blkd
wait for unread message on br Received on Wed Nov 22 2006 - 16:52:00 CST