Re: upgrade 9.2 to 10.2

From: R. Schierbeek <byteNospam_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 12:09:08 +0100

>>> Sylvestre wrote:
>>> Hello
>>> Our SAP instances must be upgraded from 9.2 to 10.2, but
>>> a lot of tablespace are always in dictionary managed, and it is
>>> asked to me to proove that locally is better, I need a test case
>>> to do it, does someone have idea about such a demo?
>>> Thank yu
>>
>> http://www.dizwell.com/prod/node/62 is a good explanation of the
>> basics. If you really need to come up with a demonstration, the secret
>> is to make many segments (like repeatedly adding copies of dba_objects to a table with a small
>> next until you have thousands of segments) and then have duelling processes add more. What
>> happens is that tables in the dictionary contend for latching trying to add additional segments
>> for themselves in addition to the user segments, and everything locks up. LMT's just have to
>> update a header bitmap, much easier.
>>
>> But really, now it is generally accepted that LMT's are better. In
>> fact, DMT's are considered deprecated since 9.2.
>> http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14238/compat.htm
>>
>> Note that simply upgrading DMT's to LMT's just keeps any issues
>> (besides those specific to the dictionary tables) intact, it is often
>> better to create new tablespaces and move objects there, if possible.
>>
>> Search for LMT on asktom.oracle.com for lots more information. It's
>> also been discussed on this group.
>> jg
>> --
>> @home.com is bogus.

"Sylvestre" <Sylvestre_at_world.com> wrote
> Hello Thank for answer, where I can find that DMTS are no longer supported in 10.2 ?

As you've found out yourself DMTS are working in 10.2. Quote: "Starting with Oracle9i release 9.2 dictionary managed tablespaces are deprecated." Here deprecated means "considered lower in value". So LMT's are your best choice. But that doesn't mean DMTS are no longer supported. Cheers,

    Roelof Schierbeek; DBA Received on Fri Nov 10 2006 - 05:09:08 CST