Sounds good in theory, but will it work?

From: TB <chessgame_at_gmail.com>
Date: 8 Nov 2006 14:53:59 -0800

We have Oracle 8.1.7 running on an IBM p615 single processor server. I'm an AIX admin, not an Oracle admin. We don't have an Oracle admin on staff.

I need to ensure some level of recovery (somewhat quickly) in case of a total disaster; building burns down, tornado hits,... whatever. I'm not looking for anything fancy and costly like clusters or (a)synchronous replication. What I do have is a full hot backup every night with RMAN and an offsite DR facility.

Here are my thoughts...
Buy a second AIX server (I have a quote for a p520 dual proc) for our DR site. Backup the rootvg (mksysb). On the weekends shut down the Oracle database and do a savevg on the data vg's. Bring Oracle backup and continue to do full RMAN backups durring the week.

Build the new server at the DR sight with the mksysb. If a disaster happens, then I could take the savevg(s) to the DR facility and restore those vgs. This should give me a fully functional Oracle server as of the weekend backup. Then I could use the RMAN backups to restore to the weekly full backup. With this process we could potentionally loose a full days work, but we are comfortable with this risk.

Has anyone done anything like this? Think it will work? What are your thoughts? Received on Wed Nov 08 2006 - 16:53:59 CST