Re: Monthly maintenance

From: Tom Churchward <tcprof_at_tolan.fr>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 11:56:29 +0100

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 10:25:03 -0000, "Lber" <lber_at_smartitc.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi,
>I'm in the process of setting up an Oracle server.
>what sort of maintenance does Oracle need to keep it running at it's optimum
>levels?
>
>FYI it's an 8i server
>
>TIA

I wonder if you could approach this from a different angle? What does the Business you work for regard as optimal? They will have priorities which perhaps aren't quite the same as yours. Taking a crude example: if their priority is application/database available at 9am each morning then you'd better make sure it is running at 9am each morning - your business users might argue that the system is optimal if it's available at 9am each morning....

I guess the question wasn't really about this type of thing but it might be worth asking them to define 'optimal' rather than using a list of items such as, each logical I/O should take less that 10micro seconds, each disk read less than, must keep up-to-date with patches etc.

Just a thought.

Tom Churchwad

http://tcprof.tolan.fr - The home of tcprof, an Oracle 10046 Trace File Profiler. Received on Wed Nov 08 2006 - 04:56:29 CST