Re: Free Linux to run Oracle

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 22:19:15 GMT

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 21:53:05 +0000, Mladen Gogala wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 20:38:48 +0000, HansF wrote:
>

>> If your need for self-education includes 'how to integrate', I offered
>> advice ... see Ivan's site.
>>
>> If your need for self-education does not include 'how to integrate' I
>> offered some advise.  Specifically
>>
>> - get a distro that includes an orarun or an orarun is available; or
>> - get a free distro that duplicates a certified distro such as CentOS

> I was asking for opinions on free distros, not on the lectures on Oracle
> support, universe and everything. Do you have an opinion of any free
> distribution or not?

I'll paraphrase what I put into the previous 2 messages. Perhaps this time it'll be clear ...

Either one is good to use for an Oracle environment. I've used both in commercial environments and private environments under Oracle with no problem at all. In fact, I run my company using OpenSuSE and Oracle.

Is that clear enough?

Every Novell distro can be obtained free. And they all include orarun and therefore have some form of Oracle support, although it's not from Oracle.

Sign up and get them with support free of charge for 30/60/90 days. If you don't want support, the distro is still yours to use, you just don't get patches and support.

You can optionally pay for support. SLES9 is officially certified for Oracle. SLES is free. http://www.novell.com/products/server/eval.html

Is that clear enough?

And ... your earlier remark about $1500 is WAAAAAY off base. Unless you have machines with more than 2 CPUs, the price for support of a certified version is $349

Besides, you pay for the support, not for the use of the distro. Technically all the distros are free, even Red Hat Advanced Server.

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!