Re: Free Linux to run Oracle

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 20:38:48 GMT

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 19:54:10 +0000, Mladen Gogala wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 14:19:00 +0000, HansF wrote:
>

>> There is a reason Oracle recommends certain distros ...

> Funny, I believe I specified that this was for home use, for self
> education purposes.
> The problem is that those commercial distros are expensive. I'm not
> going to shell out $1500 just to have the pleasure of being on a
> supported distribution. Linux, unlike some other operating systems, is
> not something that can only be acquired from The Source. There is no
> Redmond and there is no Dark Lord in the world of Linux. Also, there
> isn't a single browser to rule them all and in VB bind them. Red Hat
> produced something that doesn't work with Oracle, it's sayonara Red Hat,
> hello SuSE or Ubuntu or Mandriva. I believe I know the theory of
> supported systems, but I'm not looking for support, I'm looking for
> something free and capable of running Oracle. Unfortunately, FC6 ain't
> it. I was merely asking for advice.

Your blather about 'Dark Lord' (and so on) misses the point of a Distro, which is to get a self-contained and tested packaging. And the moment you deviate from that, you do your own integration. Always been the case.

If you go for the Fedora set, you make a decision to do your own integration.

If you go for the Debian set, you make a decision to do your own integration.

If you go for a certified distro, you make the decision to believe some else has done the appropriate integration.

If your need for self-education includes 'how to integrate', I offered advice ... see Ivan's site.

If your need for self-education does not include 'how to integrate' I offered some advise. Specifically

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!