Re: Competition for OraPerf

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 14:54:13 GMT

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 13:04:12 +0000, Richard Foote wrote:

> At the end of the day, what does the report actually achieve,

I'd say it achieves it's purpose

I suspect that purpose is to provide marketing and credibility (in the eyes of decision makers) for a technology by providing a document by a credible source (one recognized in the industry).

In North America (at the least), credibility is equated to popularity and recognition.

Popularity implies trust, which lowers apparent risk, which increases credibility, which results in revenue.

In North America (at the least), MacDonalds and Microsoft have long been considered credible in their fields. Both are extremely heavily marketed and therefore have regognition. Both are popular. Therefore both are credible, even though some experts question whether either is truly 'good'.

Note that technical accuracy is NOT a requirement.

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!