Re: AIX RAC and ASM....

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 08:10:38 -0800

oracle_man wrote:
> No problems yet. I was just curious if there were any caveats. We
> just decided the disk layout. Pretty generic. Let me know what your
> think:
>
> On each node:
>
> /u01 oracle:dba 4GB, jfs2 for oracle binaries, bdump,cdump, etc...
>
> /u02 root:<group> 4Gb, jfs2 for cluster binaries
>
> Shared disk:
>
> 2x1GB raw physical volumes. 1 for voting disk, 1 for OCR
>
> 4x50GB raw physical volumes for ASM disk farm.
>
> One question I have, is where is the best place to backup? Local ASM,
> or to jfs2?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich
>

> DA Morgan wrote:

>> oracle_man wrote:
>>> Has any person reading this set up or know someone who has set up the
>>> following:
>>>
>>> Oracle STANDARD edition 10.2 RAC using ASM on an IBM P series with AIX
>>> 5.3L os.
>>>
>>> Here are the particulars:
>>> 2 nodes identical, 8GB RAM, 2gig-e ports, 2 10/100 ports
>>> No hacm
>>> No gpfs
>>> ASM raw
>>> Multipathing will be in place.
>>> Disk array is DS8100 (in RAID 5 coniguration...ewwwww)
>>>

>>> If you have done this setup, please email me, or post to this thread.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> Rich
>> What are the issues you are facing? Not done it with 5.3 but done
>> it with 5.2.
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>> (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
>> www.psoug.org

Please do not top post. Scroll to the bottom of messages to reply.

The comments from Pete and HPUXRAC are good. My first thought reading your response, above, was how about flash recovery and where are the archive logs going?

And failover groups are you going to create any?

Oracle's recommendation, with respect to ASM and RAC, involves 6-8 separate mount points: Be sure you review the docs.