Re: AIX RAC and ASM....

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 1 Nov 2006 06:13:23 -0800

oracle_man wrote:
> No problems yet. I was just curious if there were any caveats. We
> just decided the disk layout. Pretty generic. Let me know what your
> think:
>
> On each node:
>
> /u01 oracle:dba 4GB, jfs2 for oracle binaries, bdump,cdump, etc...
>
> /u02 root:<group> 4Gb, jfs2 for cluster binaries
>
> Shared disk:
>
> 2x1GB raw physical volumes. 1 for voting disk, 1 for OCR
>
> 4x50GB raw physical volumes for ASM disk farm.
>
> One question I have, is where is the best place to backup? Local ASM,
> or to jfs2?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

I would consider increasing the /u01. I have 10 gig for /u01 on my systems.

When and if you are reading to considering going to the next release ( for me 9.2 to 10.2 ... for you maybe 10.2 to 11.1 or 11.2 ? ) I find it handy to have the space already available for the next install of the next release/version. That way you don't have to fight for that space later.

Oracle is promoting heavily backing up to flashrecovery area which can be in a local file system or in ASM. Space usage for backups can vary but some people are advocating having 2 1/2 up to 3 times the space usage for your database available for backups. ( The most recent backup, the one before that, etc ). Received on Wed Nov 01 2006 - 08:13:23 CST