Re: newbie 2Ques- SQL procedure calling another proc and Select statement

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala.spam-me-not_at_verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 04:27:44 GMT

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 00:20:29 +0000, HansF wrote:

> Actually, many of the people will simply move over to another forum.

Maybe there should be a beginner forum, where questions like that would be allowed? Unfortunately, people know that large number of experts is following this forum, you being one of them, and simply use this forum as an online manual.

> I agree with your basic sentiment that Sybrand performs a valuable service
> by suggesting to people to search on their own. Two comments:
>
> 1) given that the raw body of documentation is over 70,000 pages now
> across several dozen books, a plain RTFM could easily be accompanied by
> some pointer as to which FM would be useful;

Oh well, sometimes questions are straight from the concepts manual. I do expect people to have a basic knowledge.

> 2) as compared to a generic FOAD attitude, a welcoming community will
> develop an increased /useful, contributing/ membership, diminishing the
> load on poor Sybrand.

Do we want a generally welcoming community or do we expect a bit of knowledge on this group? I am not sure that there is a consensus about that. I don't feel like welcoming Omlet / TeraKnowledge dude in any shape or form.

You probably remember my actions of similar nature on the oracle mailing list of which you were once a member. Steve Adams now keeps a tight reign on that group and general newbies are quickly taught about the desired attitude. I gave up general "go ahead, make may day" attitude because it was just too tiresome, but I do feel certain sympathy for Sybrand, despite his not always charming personality.

--
http://www.mladen-gogala.com