Re: newbie 2Ques- SQL procedure calling another proc and Select statement

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 11:21:40 GMT

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 04:27:44 +0000, Mladen Gogala wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 00:20:29 +0000, HansF wrote:
>

>> Actually, many of the people will simply move over to another forum.

> Maybe there should be a beginner forum, where questions like that would
> be allowed? Unfortunately, people know that large number of experts is
> following this forum, you being one of them, and simply use this forum
> as an online manual.

There is. OTN's Discussion forum. And we're responding a lot with RTFM - but gently.

>> I agree with your basic sentiment that Sybrand performs a valuable service
>> by suggesting to people to search on their own.  Two comments:
>>
>> 1) given that the raw body of documentation is over 70,000 pages now
>> across several dozen books, a plain RTFM could easily be accompanied by
>> some pointer as to which FM would be useful;

> Oh well, sometimes questions are straight from the concepts manual. I do
> expect people to have a basic knowledge.

Yup. And an appropriate response is "That information is in the Concepts manual." Slightly less intimidating than "Read the manual." which implies they need to wander through 70,000 pages.

>> 2) as compared to a generic FOAD attitude, a welcoming community will
>> develop an increased /useful, contributing/ membership, diminishing the
>> load on poor Sybrand.

> Do we want a generally welcoming community or do we expect a bit of
> knowledge on this group? I am not sure that there is a consensus about
> that. I don't feel like welcoming Omlet / TeraKnowledge dude in any
> shape or form.

Like any community, you isolate or banish those who don't fit. Unless your a religious nut, or small town bigot, you wait until they prove they don't fit.

> You probably remember my actions of similar nature on the oracle mailing
> list of which you were once a member. Steve Adams now keeps a tight reign
> on that group and general newbies are quickly taught about the desired
> attitude. I gave up general "go ahead, make may day" attitude because it
> was just too tiresome, but I do feel certain sympathy for Sybrand, despite
> his not always charming personality.

I do feel sympathy for Sybrand's cause - support it, and emulate it, in my way as well. However, I do not enjoy or condone his presentation style - he keeps making me think he's older than I am ... certainly grumpier, and that usually comes with age.

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!