Re: Automatic Shared Memory Management needs Diagnostics Pack license?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 6 Oct 2006 13:57:06 -0700

Mark Townsend wrote:
> Thanks to pointing out this follow up to me
>
> hpuxrac wrote:
> > Mark Townsend wrote:
> >> That would be me. The contribution was the Oracle Database Licensing
> >> Information - see
> >> http://www.oracle.com/pls/db102/to_toc?pathname=license.102%2Fb14199%2Ftoc.htm
> >>
> >> It should pretty much answer any questions you have. You may not always
> >> like the answers however.
> >
> > So what happens in the case where someone is running standard edition?
>
> They cannot use the Diag and/or Tuning packs (or any of the other packs)
> >
> > Do they even have the ability to navigate thru the GUI to the
> > "Management Pack Access" and remove and apply access even though
> > standard edition people cannot purchase those options packs?
>
> Probably not. I can get that fixed. It will take awhile.
> >
> > Part of what you have included seems to me at least to be more
> > marketing boilerplate than helpful technical information. For instance
> > "Oracle Database Standard Edition One delivers unprecedented ease of
> > use, power, and performance for workgroup, department-level, and Web
> > applications. From single-server environments for small business to
> > highly distributed branch environments, Oracle Database Standard
> > Edition One includes all the facilities necessary to build
> > business-critical applications."
>
> There is some 'marketing' content in the doc. It has been minimized.
> >
> > Ok well how about the "ease of use"? How does one get that ease of use
> > if oracle does not supply ways to access critical oracle system
> > information?
>
> The general belief is that in a workgroup, departmental or branch
> environment on a 2 to 4 CPU machine there is no need for the advanced
> tuning capabilities that Diag and Tuning provide, and often no-one that
> could make the changes anyhow. It's a tenuous belief, but one that has
> been discussed repeatedly at all levels within Oracle, and is the one
> that prevails.

The smaller the shop/machine, the more likely they will need help tuning. What's the first thing this group asks for when people say they have a perf problem - an explain plan! (I hope I'm not being confused because I usually work with 9.2, I'm assuming the drill down to a plan is part of these packages, like DBA_SQLTUNE_PLANS. And of course, they really need the actual plan. This should be simple, basic, included functionality on all Oracle variants.)

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
I don't worship Jonathan.  I just really like the ground he walks on.