Re: Automatic Shared Memory Management needs Diagnostics Pack license?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 17:04:00 -0700

joel garry wrote:

> Mark Townsend wrote:

>> Thanks to pointing out this follow up to me
>>
>> hpuxrac wrote:

>>> So what happens in the case where someone is running standard edition?
>> They cannot use the Diag and/or Tuning packs (or any of the other packs)
>>> Do they even have the ability to navigate thru the GUI to the
>>> "Management Pack Access" and remove and apply access even though
>>> standard edition people cannot purchase those options packs?
>> Probably not. I can get that fixed. It will take awhile.
>>> Part of what you have included seems to me at least to be more
>>> marketing boilerplate than helpful technical information. For instance
>>> "Oracle Database Standard Edition One delivers unprecedented ease of
>>> use, power, and performance for workgroup, department-level, and Web
>>> applications. From single-server environments for small business to
>>> highly distributed branch environments, Oracle Database Standard
>>> Edition One includes all the facilities necessary to build
>>> business-critical applications."
>> There is some 'marketing' content in the doc. It has been minimized.
>>> Ok well how about the "ease of use"? How does one get that ease of use
>>> if oracle does not supply ways to access critical oracle system
>>> information?
>> The general belief is that in a workgroup, departmental or branch
>> environment on a 2 to 4 CPU machine there is no need for the advanced
>> tuning capabilities that Diag and Tuning provide, and often no-one that
>> could make the changes anyhow. It's a tenuous belief, but one that has
>> been discussed repeatedly at all levels within Oracle, and is the one
>> that prevails.
>
> The smaller the shop/machine, the more likely they will need help
> tuning.  What's the first thing this group asks for when people say
> they have a perf problem - an explain plan!  (I hope I'm not being
> confused because I usually work with 9.2, I'm assuming the drill down
> to a plan is part of these packages, like DBA_SQLTUNE_PLANS.  And of
> course, they really need the actual plan.  This should be simple,
> basic, included functionality on all Oracle variants.)
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> I don't worship Jonathan.  I just really like the ground he walks on.
> (Tip o' the hat to Peanuts)

It is beyond my comprehension that there is any Oracle database that couldn't, at least in theory, benefit from the DBA having access to DBMS_ADVISOR.QUICK_TUNE. I am usually fast to jump to Oracle's defense when people criticize their decision making. But I can not think of a single justification for denying access to this procedure to anyone willing to pay a license fee.

This is not just counter-productive Mark ... it is incomprehensible.

--
Daniel Morgan
University of Washington