Re: Dynamic PL/SQL

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 16:53:22 -0700

Vince wrote:

> I have a requirement that all data changes (via UI, mostly) must be
> recorded (who, what and why the change was made) permanently.
>
> I chose dynamic PL/SQL because if new columns are added to the table, I
> do not want to have to revise my program (I will be doing this for
> many, many tables)

This is not a good reason to use NDS. The information you want is available by use of SYSTEM EVENT environment variables and can be obtained dynamically.

Go to Morgan's Library at www.psoug.org and look up SYSTEM EVENTS. They may or may not solve your problem but NDS is likely not the best possible solution. Also look at the procs in the DBMS_SQL package. They too are likely a better solution than NDS.

--
Daniel Morgan
University of Washington