Re: rebuild index

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 4 Oct 2006 07:43:29 -0700

frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Andrea schreef:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > someone can tell me if there are some warning if i want to rebuild all
> > indexes of my database (oracle 10g), can i do it without any problem?
> >
> > thanks very much
> >
> > bye
> > andrew
>
> There have been numerous discussion about the unnecessity of rebuilding
> indexes - especially the "normal" (B-tree) indexes.
>
> What type of indexes do you want to rebuild, and -more importantly-
> why?

Frank is correct. The great majority of normal B-tree indexes do not need to be rebuilt for performance or any other reason on a regular basis. You may have a few indexes that due to the nature of the index keys and DML activity that may release a significant percentage of their space allocation on a rebuild since a significant portion of the index space is held by deleted row index key values. (That is the key if re-inserted would go here).

See the DBA Administration manual chapter on managing indexes for your options: drop/recreate, alter index rebuild, alter index coalesce, etc....

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Oct 04 2006 - 09:43:29 CDT