Re: OK here is the scenario

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 3 Oct 2006 11:39:16 -0700

Doug Jones wrote:
> Thanks for the info....
>
> Is there a "backup" command that will allow me to have all the files I
> need to for the recovery of the database on a new host? This question
> doesn't seem like it would need more information, but does it? If so,
> why? :) I feel like a 2 yr old.. why why why why... It seems that is
> all I can say and "huh?"

You don't have to use rman to backup oracle databases although it is now improved to the point where it doesn't really make sense not to use it.

Yes rman has a backup command. Discussing all the different types of things that oracle needs to succeed in recovering a database to a different host is not something I am going to attempt here.

Go back to the oracle documentation and/or the rman books and invest some time. You need also to have a good understanding of oracle's architecture. Received on Tue Oct 03 2006 - 13:39:16 CDT