Re: Why not bigfile ?

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 14:21:36 GMT

Andrea wrote:
> hi,
> ive read a tip of oracle that says:
> "If you are not using a logical volume manager that supports dynamic
> volume resizing as well striping and/or mirroring, do not use bigfile
> tablespaces."
>
> but someone can explain me why not use bigfile on NO LVM system?
>
> thanks

Because a bigfile tablespace can have one and only one datafile. If that disk volume runs out of space, you cannot add another datafile to the bigfile tablespace on another disk volume. You'll need to be able to add more physical disks to the logical disk volume without destroying the volume's contents (hence "dynamic volume resizing") before the bigfile tablespace can grow.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net